With growing demand for wireless internet access by travellers, offering free Wi-Fi connectivity is a culture of hospitality industry. Making Wi-Fi connection available for free in hotels and resorts have become greatest strength over couple of years helping them create valuable customer buzz in social and business circles. But providing the internet access alone is no more a differentiator. According to a recent survey, internet speed and reliability is one of the major complaints found among guests’ reviews. This is because guests desire high-speed and good coverage in addition to free Wi-Fi access. The bandwidth demand and cost continuously rises for hotels to keep pace with guest’s access needs. This brings the need of strategically managing bandwidth allocation and its consumption among hotel guests. Importance of creating a Bandwidth Management strategy Bandwidth is a resource that is limited, in high demand and of high value. It is important to manage and allocate bandwidth accordingly to improvise overall hotel network efficiency. An approach or tool that fairly distributes bandwidth amongst users, continuously monitors their usage and efficiently manages web traffic is required. With new emerging applications available for mobile devices, more quantity of bandwidth is utilized by guests. Balancing the Wi-Fi needs of guests is one of the biggest challenges for hotels. Understanding Bandwidth Management strategy Bandwidth Management is done to control network traffic flow. It is done to control and increase the internet speed over the network. This can be achieved by three basic activities – 1. Preventing excessive use of bandwidth-intensive applications like video/audio streaming, downloading activities, etc. 2. Appropriate bandwidth distribution and allocation among hotel guests, or applications. 3. Continuous monitoring of the network traffic and using load balancing for properly distributing web traffic across access points. Hotel benefits from bandwidth Management
- Bandwidth allocation can be useful for hotels for their revenue management.
- Having dynamic control over bandwidth consumption, hoteliers can ensure that they have enough reserved bandwidth for loyalty guests and for the high priority venues.
- Hoteliers can prioritize business-critical applications and users, based on which bandwidth can be allocated.
- Effective bandwidth management will help hotels with enhanced productivity and efficient network performance.
- It will help improve guest satisfaction.