The paper seeks to explain and discuss the various technologies to be deployed by Sterlite Technologies Ltd. in Jaipur in order to create and develop it as a state-of-the-art city. JDA (Jaipur Development Authority) has been working towards time bound development activities based on major scientific and hi-tech strategies to develop it as a paragon of India’s Smart City.
JDA under phase 1 is already in the process of developing Jaipur into a Smart City with the use of IT/ICT based interventions. The JDA phase-2 network has the following broad level Technical Requirements:
- Citizen Services Kiosk and Citizen Portal (Interactive Information Kiosks).
- City Video surveillance for public safety and Security.
- E-Governance (Remote expert government Services).
- Smart street lighting system (Motion based and intensity based sensors with smart controllers)
Jaipur Smart City Phase 1 existing system details
- Currently in JDA NOC there are Internet Routers, Wireless controllers, Firewall with IPS capabilities, Core switches, few Power over Ethernet (PoE) access switches, Rack servers, Unified Communication servers, Interactive Kiosk Platform, Remote Expert Platform, Video management solution & one Server based Storage for video management solution.
- All the installed devices under Phase-1 scope have adequate amount of license to register the existing devices that are already installed.
- City Infrastructure Management is deployed as a Smart City platform that has Wi-Fi Business Data and Environmental monitoring capability.
High Level Design Architecture
Sterlite Technologies has proposed the following high level architecture of the overall offering for the Jaipur Smart City Phase 2 Project.
Overall Solution comprises of the following technical tracks:
- Internet Wi-Fi Hotspots.
- Interactive Kiosks.
- Smart Lighting.
- Remote Expert Govt Services Kiosk.
- IP Surveillance
Low Level Design Connectivity
The diagram below captures the snapshot aptly of the field connectivity for various solutions
The solution for the proposed architecture encapsulates the following components:
Command Control Center
There will be switches each having 32x10G SFP+ based ports each acting as Core Switch placed at JDA NOC. The same core switch will be used in Phase-2 as well, however 10G & 1G ports may have to be added in to the switch to add additional wireless controllers, NAS storage,10G capable firewall cum IPS, Communication Severs etc.
Both of these switches are being configured in HA mode using stack configuration. There will be two routers acting as internet router loaded with 1x10G SFP+ based port & 4x1Gig ports. ISP internet links are terminated into the routers over 1G ports. There is a set firewall cum IPS device that is acting as core firewall currently. The current firewall will be reused to protect the internal server farm devices.
Firewall with URL Filtering
The number of wireless AP is increasing day by day to cater to a large area throughout Jaipur city to provide more & more wireless connectivity. The more the load on Internet increases, the more the firewall capacity needs to be increased. The proposed firewall will not only provide raw firewalling capabilities to JDA, it will also have all capabilities of next Gen firewall, deep packet inspection & URL filtering capabilities.
It provides comprehensive protection from known and advanced threats, including protection against targeted and persistent malware attacks (Fig 1). The Firewall will have these comprehensive capabilities:
- Site-to-site and remote access VPN and advanced clustering to provide highly secure, high-performance access and high availability to help ensure business continuity.
- Granular Application Visibility and Control (AVC) to support more than 3,000 application-layer and risk-based controls that can launch tailored intrusion prevention system (IPS) threat detection policies to optimize security effectiveness.
- Reputation- and category-based URL filtering to offer comprehensive alerting and control over suspicious web traffic and enforce policies on hundreds of millions of URLs in more than 80 categories.
The Firewall will provide the below capabilities:
- It will provide up to 20 Gbps of multiprotocol throughput.
- It will provide up to 15 Gbps of Application Visibility and Control (AVC) throughput.
- It will provide up to 4 Gbps of IPSec throughput.
- The combined throughput of AVC & Next Gen IPS is 15 Gbps.
- It has 2 power supplies & comes with 4x10G SFP+ based ports from day one.
In the 2nd phase of this project, two wireless controllers have been proposed. The current WLC can support only up to 500 AP; hence the new WLC that can cater up to 1500 AP will be used to form a single group with existing WLC to provide the seamless movement of AP & users from one AP or controller to the other. Outdoor AP will be powered on using external power adaptor & will be connected to ruggedized switches at the field level. Additional licenses for MSE (Mobility Service Engine) to provide WiPS (Wireless IPS) functionality is also provided. The Network system is developed based on the following criteria
- Coverage – to achieve macro WiFi coverage.
- Capacity – to provide sufficient user capacity in urban areas
- Mobility – to support users in driving speed.
- Quality of Service – to support real-time applications.
- Manageability – to simplify operations and maintenance of WiFi network.
- Access Point- Outdoor or Indoor.
- WLC-Wireless Access Controller.
- Layer-2 Switch- For aggregating all the AP’s in single hotspot.
- Point to Point connectivity till command control center.
- Core elements like AAA server, DHCP server, Firewall , Billing system etc.
- EMS / NMS: Management system to control / configure / maintain the system.
- Access point: Either in controller-based or standalone operation, provides Wi-Fi connectivity concurrently to clients on both 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz radios. As there will be a centralized controller the DC, controller-based architecture is highly recommended.
- Bridging: Provides point-to-point, high-capacity data links, as well as point-to-multipoint bridging for campuses.
As part of Phase2 deployment for JDA Wi-Fi following services will be deployed:
- Free outdoor Public Wi-Fi.
- Captive Portal.
- SMS Gateway integration for OTP services.
- Payment Gateway integration.
With this solution business and public agencies can deliver interactive content and information in real time, improving loyalty and revenues, while increasing efficiencies in business processes. Figure below shows a basic solution configuration with a kiosk.
- Integration with peripherals including webcams, magnetic card readers, barcode scanners, optical scanners, and printers.
- SIP client support for two-way video calls.
- Embedded video encoder card for HD video conferencing between two Interactive Experience Client devices.
- Encoder driver that enables video snapshots and 1080p streaming.
- Aggressive (off-line) caching.
- Debugging console for troubleshooting
- Secure, managed, reliable computing.
- Custom web-based application platform for touchscreen interactive applications.
- Management by a powerful remote management platform.
- Single- and dual-core processor models.
- Fan less design, providing for reliable and quiet operation.
- Solid-state, space-saving design.
- Interactive multimedia support with multiple video outputs.
- Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and Bluetooth enabled.
The Smart Lighting solution has the following components that enable the city to manage and operate the entire lighting infrastructure centrally along with various policies.
- LED control node (External Core Node)
- Advanced Multi-sensor nodes.
- Wireless Access Points
Cloud managed Lighting management software platform
The control node connects to the LED luminaire through a NEMA connector and provides power to the LED. It is possible to have internal or external control nodes depending on the requirement. An external node has been proposed in JDA keeping in mind ease of operation and maintenance.
The control node gets registered to the Lighting management software platform in the cloud and is managed and operated centrally e.g. Predefined ON/OFF/Dimming control, policy based lighting control or Time of day scheduled control.
Remote Expert Govt Services
A convenient, cost-effective, face-to-face remote access approach to government representatives and services.
Placing a POD in a convenient location close to citizen residences and workplaces reduces both the cost of serving the public and carbon footprint.
Below listed items are major components of existing IP surveillance solution;
- PTZ Camera.
- Fixed Camera.
- Storage Solution
Below is high-level solution architecture:
Proposed storage will create a single logical group with existing storage. Video Surveillance Application integrates with existing and new storage group, below is high-level storage architecture for overall project.
DLP Video Wall
Digital Light Processing
Video walls are powered by DLP® technology, generating extraordinary image quality with incredible color depth and contrast, DLP® technology brings video images to life and enables detailed data to be read with ease, extremely important factors in a control room environment. DLP® technology is also renowned for its robustness and long-term reliability.
The environmental sensors enable a development environment for providers to create applications and IOT solutions on the cloud based data. JDA can receive data from the cloud services and use for citizen display and awareness of environmental data on real time basis.